Zurück Neue Antwort erstellen
liny195 
(Thema erstellt)
Super Chicken 
Playing:  gu
Ingame:  hu
Monate im Forum: * * * * *
It takes a lot to put a smile on Bill Belichick's face and g Verfasst am: Beitrag 07:17 Mi - Dez 05, 2018

New England Patriots coach in the fourth game of the preseason. Third-string quarterback Danny Etling did it all on one play.In a meaningless game Thursday night in which neither team played their starters New York Giants Hats , Etling added a lighthearted moment to the contest and iced the Patriots' 17-12 win with an 86-yard run on an option keeper that totally fooled the New York Giants' defense."Well that was one of the most exciting plays I have seen in preseason, I'll say. Great call by Chad," Belichick said, referring to the selection by receivers coach Chad O'Shea, who was given a chance to call the play.Etling, who also tossed a 1-yard touchdown pass to Ralph Webb early in the second half, said he looked behind him seven times on the jaunt down the right sideline."I just wanted to make sure no one was catching me," said Etling, who finished 18 of 32 for 157 yards after throwing six passes in the first preseason game. "I didn't realize you could use the Jumbotron."Etling's big run came on the first play after an Alex Tanney-led drive from the New York 1 stalled at the Patriots 14 with New England ahead 10-6 with 4:11 to play.Etling, who finished with 113 yards on seven carries, faked a handoff and ran an option around right end and scored untouched to give the Patriots a 3-1 preseason record."When's the last time a quarterback ran for 85 (really 86) yards, let alone for the Patriots," Belichick said. "I'd say at least 20 years, I know that. Maybe (Steve) Grogan, (Jim) Plunkett. Eighty, that's a long run."Nobody has worked harder than Danny. He's the first one in, last one out. He is diligent. When something like that happens, you are happy for him."The Giants finished their first preseason under new coach Pat Shurmur at 2-2.'"I thought the guys played hard, we didn't make enough plays in the end to win the game," Shurmur said.Giants quarterback Eli Manning chatted with receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in the first half, while Tom Brady sat next to the New England water coolers and relaxed.Two Giants penalties for lowering the head to initiate contact set up Stephen Gostkowski 33-yard field goal in the first quarter.Rookie Kyle Lauletta New York Giants Hoodie , who made the start for New York with Manning and backup Davis Webb held out, put the Giants ahead early in the second quarter with a 41-yard pass to Amba Etta-Tawo. Backup placekicker Marshall Koehn missed the extra point.Etling set up the touchdown to Webb with a 40-yard pass to K.J. Maye.Tanney closed out the scoring with an 8-yard TD pass to Alonzo Russell with 48 seconds to play. The 2-point conversion run failed.GOOD IMPRESSIONSGiants CB Donte Deayon, who battled a hamstring injury in the preseason, might have secured a roster spot with two interceptions. His drawback is he is small and injury prone."I won't be nervous," Deayon said of Saturday's final cut. "At this point, I put it all out on the table, I put my best foot forward. At this point, what happens, happens." ... Patriots free agent CB J.C. Jackson also had two interceptions and broke up a deep pass before being carted off late in the third quarter because of dehydration. "Yeah, I had something to prove tonight. I knew I had to ball. This is the last preseason game and I'm trying to make the roster," Jackson said. ... Giants veteran CB Chris Lewis-Harris was excellent in coverage and tackling.OBJThe NFL's highest paid receiver will head into the season for the Giants having not played a down in the preseason. He has not appeared in a game since breaking his left ankle on Oct. 8. Coach Pat Shurmur said he has been cautious with the 25-year-old wideout, but says Beckham will be ready for the opener.LEG WEARYPunters Ryan Allen of the Patriots and Riley Dixon of the Giants had busy nights, kicking six times each.ANTHEMThere were no displays of protest by either the Patriots or Giants, with both teams standing on their sideline for the anthem.INJURIESPatriots: OT Ulrick John (foot) and CB Jackson (dehydration) left the game. John was wearing a walking boot after the game.Giants: T Nick Becton (ankle) and RB Robert Martin (ankle) had to leave the game.UP NEXTPatriots: open regular-season at home against Houston on Sept. 9.Giants: open at home against Jacksonville on Sept. 9.Giants might be on the right path, but it better lead to winning — soon Is the glass half empty or half full for the 0-1 New York Giants? Well, that depends on whether you are the type of person who prefers to take the optimistic view or the pessimistic one.The Giants are preferring to be optimistic. They are preferring to believe that the Jaguars, who fell one good half of football short of reaching the Super Bowl last season, everything they could handle. That there were things in the loss they could build on.“I was encouraged by the way that we fought against one of the better teams in the league,” Odell Beckham Jr. said this week. “Unfortunately, we lost, but if you look at it Youth Customized New York Giants Jerseys , the game could’ve went either which way. We just didn’t make more plays than they made. I think we’re optimistic about it.”“I’ve been involved in a lot of first games of the season – won about half of them, and lost about half of them. You just move forward,” head coach Pat Shurmur said.“I think the mindset is keep working, keep grinding. The way you look at it, it’s the first game of the season with a new coach, new players, new schemes. Not everything is going to be perfect. There’s some good things,” quarterback Eli Manning said. “Obviously, a lot we’re cleaning up as well. We just got to play better ball. We got to make some plays here and there, clean some things up, get on the same page with how we’re doing things. So, I think each week we’re going to learn a lot. We’re going to learn how to clean up this offense, how to clean up the mistakes that were made, and we’ll get better. There’s enough good things to build off, and know we can go out there and play better football.”Shurmur has said a number of times that he likes the path the Giants are on. I have expressed the belief many times that the Giants as a team and an organization are in a far better place than they were a year. Maybe even two, three, four years ago.I still believe those things to be true.You don’t, however, get points for being on a good path. Or in a better place. You get points for winning. Period.Bottom line last week was that the Giants let a winnable game, one that was in their grasp with just a couple more plays or a couple less bone-headed mistakes, slip away. You don’t get those opportunities back www.giantsauthorizedshops.com , and with only 16 such opportunities in an NFL season each one that goes by is damaging.The Giants, with their decision to forsake the long-term future and go all-in on the present with Eli Manning, chose the path of winning. Now. Once again, being on a good path or in a better place is nice.The Giants, though, have to win. To justify the path they took, trying to win in the short term with Manning, they actually have to win in the short term with Manning. Maybe not Super Bowl titles. I have said multiple times, though, that forsaking the future for the present means the present needs to be successful. If the Giants miss the playoffs, I don’t know how you term that successful.One loss, of course, doesn’t doom the Giants to missing the playoffs. Two to start the season? That won’t eliminate them, but only 10 of 91 0-2 teams since 2007 have made the playoffs.The Giants can talk around it all they want. They need, however, to win on Sunday night.“We plan to come out and win. That’s always the goal is to win. I hate losing, anything. Whether it’s cards against Shep over there, (RB Jonathan Stewart) Stew, I don’t like losing,” Beckham said. “I need that [winning feeling]. There’s no feeling like winning. Just the overall feeling of everybody in the locker room and knowing we did what we had to do. We’ll live on this moment for a little bit. Cool, and then get back to work. Everybody here wants to win New York Giants Womens T-Shirt , and we know the importance of this game. We know you don’t want to get 0-2, and start the season off that way, even though it is a long season. You just want to start fast and finish fast, and finish strong, too.”His teammates need that winning feeling, too. Soon. Or this is going to be just another also-ran season for the Giants.Which brings me to Manning.Pat Traina on Friday called the idea “ludicrous” that there is already an argument being pushed that the Giants would be better off if Sam Darnold was their starting quarterback right now instead of Manning. She also mentioned that I was planning on getting to this topic myself. Which is true, and what I’m doing right now.Look, Darnold played really well in his victorious NFL debut while Manning and the Giants left some points on the table in a season-opening loss. To argue after one game, though, that Darnold would give the Giants the better chance to win in 2018 is just silliness.Remember, I’m viewing this through the lens of a guy who beat the drum for Darnold for months prior to the draft. He was, in my view, clearly the best quarterback in the draft and despite my belief in Manning the guy I would have taken at No. 2.I get what the Giants did, though, and why they did it. They have Manning under contract this year and next, and they think he can still play. The best way to support him was to upgrade the talent around him, not use their No. 2 pick on a guy who would eventually take over for him.Darnold, if Monday night was an indication, could be a really good NFL quarterback for a decade or more after Manning is done playing. It may well be that the Giants made the wrong long-term decision. We’ll find out down the road. Did they make the wrong short-term one? One game is hardly enough evidence to make that decision. Antworten mit Zitat

Zurück Neue Antwort erstellen